I will be very honest when I admit that I was hesitant to begin this series. Eight bucks just seemed like a lot of a commitment to make but I have heard so many good things about the series that I figured it was time to give it a go. Plus, Netflix is making this into a series and I really really wanted to read the books before watching the show.

I will have to say that I am beyond glad that I decided to read the series. I absolutely love the Bridgertons and everyone who recommends this series for a reason. The family is large and boisterous and loving. The banter between the siblings is off the wall leading me to laugh throughout. Even if I didn’t love all of the romances in this series, I fell head over heels in love with the family. So here are the reviews for all eight of the books in the Bridgertons series by Julia Quinn!

It Happened One Autumn | Lisa Kleypas | Wallflowers #2
Source: Library 
 Four young ladies enter London society with one necessary goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So they band together, and a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

It happened at the ball...
Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden...
When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously—swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed...thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It happened one autumn...
Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable...as his bride?
As soon as I found out that Lillian Bowman and Marcus would be the main couple of It Happened One Autumn, I was beyond excited. This is also my favorite of the entire series and I loved re-reading it. Lillian, the one Wallflower I connected to the most, finding her match in Marcus led to such a fun, banter filled story that I loved.

Lillian is as vivacious, opinionated, and loud as Marcus is quiet and introverted. Marcus, as the Earl of Westcliff has so much pressure to always follow the rules of society and the last thing he needs is Lillian Bowman changing what he's always known. She challenges not only the ways of society but also how Marcus thinks about certain situations. Once she's made up her mind, it takes a lot to change it and she knows that she doesn't like Marcus. But there's more to him then meets the eye and Lillian is in for a wild ride.

Hate to love romances, for me, are the best kind of romances. From the moment Lillian and Marcus meet, they don't get along. Lillian likes to do what she wants and is willing to fight for it. Marcus isn't used to woman offering their opinions freely or doing what they please. Her American upbringing and his English, nobleman upbringing are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. They're both strong willed and unyielding in their beliefs but coming to understand that they have more in common with each other was so much fun. There was so much banter between the two of them and their chemistry really flew off the pages.

It Happened One Autumn is one of my favorites of this series but a favorite in historical romance altogether. While Lillian is the one Wallflower, thus far, that I've connected to the most, I didn't love her story as much as I loved Evie's or Daisy's. It might have to do with the immense amount of drama at the very end of the novel that leads to Devil in Winter. I sincerely wished that there had been another conflict between the two since there were so many options to go from. Regardless, It Happened One Autumn is such a fun romance!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Devil in Winter | Lisa Kleypas | Wallflowers #3
A Devil's Bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts--which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.
It's hard to talk about Devil in Winter and the main couple without spoiling the previous book (It Happened One Autumn). Of the four women, Evie was the hardest one to get to know. As I've re-read this book many times, I have come to really appreciate Evie and St. Vincent's story. There is a reason this book is called Devil in Winter and I've come to really love it.

The first time I read this series, Evie was the one character who I wasn't as invested in. She wasn't always around during the other stories and we weren't able to understand who she was. But that is changed in

Her shy nature made it hard to truly understand who she was as a character but I was still excited to see her story. And St. Vincent, y'all, was not a good guy in the last book so why Lisa Kleypas made him the love interest in this one blows my mind. However, there was nothing for me to fear because I loved Devil in Winter just as much as I loved the other books in the series thus far.

Evangeline, or Evie, became one of my favorites by the end of the first few pages. Even though I thought she was so shy--too shy to really do much--the moment she took her life into her own hands blew my mind. Y'all, Evie going to Sebastian and giving him a marriage proposition was one of my favorite schemes of this series. I loved how Evie wanted to change the course of her life and seeing her open up to Sebastian was so much fun. It's also obvious that the other Wallflowers have had a great--positive--impact on Evie. It goes to show just how much having friends around us to support us is so important.

In the past, Sebastian really was not a hero I loved but this time around, I think he might be one of my favorites of the series. For the sake of spoilers, I won't talk about why I hated him but I found that he did grow as a character in Devil in Winter. He's never had someone refuse his advances so Evie refusing to sleep with him is new. Not only does this make him want her more but gives him a reason to fight for her. But it's more than sex as Evie can see that he's actually a lot smarter than meets the eye.

I ended up loving Devil in Winter so much that it has become one of my favorite of the series. I loved the sexual tension between the two leads and there were so many tropes that made me smile. Evie's sweet nature and Sebastian's take charge nature led to plenty of moments of hilarity.

Wallflowers Series: 
Prequel Book: Again the Magic 
First Book: Secrets of a Summer Night
Second Book: It Happened One Autumn 
Third Book: Devil in Winter
Fourth Book: Scandal in Spring 
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS