Books By Black Authors To Read

by Kailia Sage, June 12, 2020
I really wanted to take some time to talk about book by Black authors that I think are worth reading. There are so many creatives that I could include on this list. Alice Walker (The Color Purple), Maya Angelou, Gwendolyn Brooks, KimberlĂ© Williams Crenshaw, W. E. B. Du Bois, Countee Cullen, and Audre Lorde, Pauli Murray and many more. Some of these people are creatives writers and others are activists but all of their words have changed lives. 

Here are some non-fiction books that are excellent. I've read them all for classes and for further education which is a great way to become even more aware of the history in this country of Black people fighting for their lives. 
. . .  .  .  .  . .

I haven't read these non-fiction books but I've heard they're amazing. 
 . . . . .

These are all books by Black authors that I've read and really enjoyed. This isn't a full list of the works I've read--I didn't include any poetry or essays--but this is a great place to start. 
. . . . ..

Even though I have not read these next books, they all sound amazing. 
  . . . .. . .

I hope that you find some books from this list to read. A large part of being a good ally to any marginalized group is to do the work to become educated on the topics that affect the group. It's one thing to put books on your TBR but it doesn't do anything if you don't actually read them. I'm not a perfect ally by any means and I myself need to read more Black authors. It's a process that will take time but one that we all need to be willing to do. 
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS