I can't remember when I read my first Courtney Milan historical romance but I do remember enjoying it a lot. She has some of the most forward thinking, open minded characters in historical fiction. Her books are such a job to read and I always find myself falling in love with her words. I was fortunate enough to have access to almost the entire Brothers Sinister series through my library and went on to binge read the series. In the next couple of posts I'll share my thoughts on most of the books in this series! 

This post features the reviews for the prequel novella and the first book in the series! I'll be linking the reviews to the rest of the series as I post them!


A Kiss for Midwinter | Brothers Sinister #1.5 | Courtney Milan Source: Library 
 Miss Lydia Charingford is always cheerful, and never more so than at Christmas time. But no matter how hard she smiles, she can't forget the youthful mistake that could have ruined her reputation. Even though the worst of her indiscretion was kept secret, one other person knows the truth of those dark days: the sarcastic Doctor Jonas Grantham. She wants nothing to do with him...or the butterflies that take flight in her stomach every time he looks her way.

Jonas Grantham has a secret, too: He's been in love with Lydia for more than a year. This winter, he's determined to conquer her dislike and win her for his own. It all starts with a wager and a kiss...

A Kiss for Midwinter is a novella (38,000 words) in the Brothers Sinister series. It follows The Duchess War. Each book stands on its own, but those who prefer to read in order might want to read that book first.
As someone who loves a good hate to love romance, I was beyond excited for this novella. Even though I wasn’t as convinced by the pairing, I was willing to give it a go because it was Courtney Milan. I was convinced that if anyone could make a pairing like this work, it would be her. But I was sadly very mistaken.

There was absolutely no chemistry between either of these characters. Again, I love a good hate to love romance but I felt like the majority of this novella had Lydia completely hating Jonas. I couldn’t understand why she went from hating this man to loving him because she talked endlessly about how this man made her angry. There always needs work to be done for me to believe that two characters truly loved each other when it’s hate to love, but it’s especially important in a novella.

Who even was Jonas? Aside from an awkward person who is also very frank and open, I knew he was the doctor. He had a lot of thoughts that would scandalize society but he didn’t really care but that was all! I wanted to love him but there nothing else about him for me to care about!

Overall, I’m not sure if the novellas of this series will work for me. I’m more than willing to give Courtney Milan all the chances in the world but I was highly disappointed by this one.

Brothers Sinister Series

The Goveunness Affair (#0.5)--this post!
The Duchess War (#1)--this post!
A Kiss for Midwinter (#1.5)
The Heiress Effect (#2)
The Countess Conspiracy (#3) 
The Suffragette Scandal (#4) 
Talk Sweetly to Me (#4.5) 
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS