Changing Reading Habits: What I Read Now

in , by Kailia Sage, October 19, 2021


I didn’t realize how much I missed writing blog posts until I sat down to write this down. It’s been such a long time since I’ve attempted to write reviews, or even just any kind of writing. But somehow, through all of the burnout, I finally found a way to get the words out.

And it’s a little sad that this is my first post back.

Originally, I thought to title this post “Growing Out of YA Books,” but I come to understand that there was more to my feelings than simply YA. As the title states, this is more about my reading habits and how they’ve changed. It’s more about what I do or don’t get drawn to and why I want to read it. So, let’s talk about what’s changed.

The biggest reasoning is that I’m simply older. I am not saying that adults can’t read YA or that YA is any less than adult or middle grade books. I’m just in my mid twenties, and there are very few YA books I am drawn to. YA books will always have a place in my heart, but I think that there are only so many YA books I can read right now.

Aside from being older now, I also have a lot of different life moments that I am going through. I am no longer working through high school problems, or applying to college, or even how life changes outside of high school. I’m now in the mindset that I’m in my mid twenties but I still don’t know what I want to do with my life. I’m now worried about health insurance and getting a job that pays the bills. Again, the life problems that YA often deals with are just as important to be written about, but I am simply not there for that. A big part of that is the fact that, as an adult, I am working through the trauma of my childhood (including my teenage years).

Now, for whatever reason, I am drawn to adult romance and adult contemporary, and dipping my toes in adult fantasy. Romance, especially, has become my saving grace in the past few years. Historical romance and contemporary are my top genres and I don’t think I’m going to be leaving any time soon. While the majority of my books are from the library, I am trying to dip my toes in reading more indie and self published books.

In the end, I still love YA and I will always love YA. YA, in the past, has saved me in so many moments of my life and I will always give credit where credit is due. There is so much that I love about the YA books that are being published now. I am so glad that younger teenagers are going to have books that reflect their realities. I’m looking forward to the future of this blog, and my reading experience.

SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS