I can't remember when I read my first Courtney Milan historical romance but I do remember enjoying it a lot. She has some of the most forward thinking, open minded characters in historical fiction. Her books are such a job to read and I always find myself falling in love with her words. I was fortunate enough to have access to almost the entire Brothers Sinister series through my library and went on to binge read the series. In the next couple of posts I'll share my thoughts on most of the books in this series! 

This post features the reviews for the prequel novella and the first book in the series! I'll be linking the reviews to the rest of the series as I post them!

The Countess Conspiracy | Brothers Sinister #3 | Courtney Milan Source: Library 
Sebastian Malheur is the most dangerous sort of rake: an educated one. When he’s not scandalizing ladies in the bedchamber, he’s outraging proper society with his scientific theories. He’s desired, reviled, acclaimed, and despised—and he laughs through it all.

Violet Waterfield, the widowed Countess of Cambury, on the other hand, is entirely respectable, and she’d like to stay that way. But Violet has a secret that is beyond ruinous, one that ties her irrevocably to England’s most infamous scoundrel: Sebastian’s theories aren’t his. They’re hers.

So when Sebastian threatens to dissolve their years-long conspiracy, she’ll do anything to save their partnership... even if it means opening her vulnerable heart to the rake who could destroy it for good.
There was no doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t love Violet. How could I not love a woman who is not only a Countess but also a secret scientist in the 1800s? She’s incredibly smart and her circumstances have allowed her to do her research but society won’t let her share her research with her name attached. It’s so frustrating getting all of the work that Violet has put into her research that she is able to claim. But what’s more, we begin to understand Violet's hesitation in starting a relationship with Sebastian. She’s gone through so much trauma and hasn’t had the time to work through those feelings. Of the counters conspiracy is such a great look at how women in that time period, even with all of the privileges that they have, deal with issues that were hard to get through.

At the same time, Courtney Millan’s ability to show us how Sebastian felt about taking this credit was also worthwhile. As much as we want to make him out to be the bad guy, we begin to understand the understanding between Sebastian and Violet. As much as Violet has done the work, Sebastian does know her research and is able to answer any and all questions that come along with it. He’s love violent for so many years but he also has pressures that he is struggling to live up to. Courtney Milan just has an incredible way of crafting characters with so much depth that you can’t help but love them.

And in many ways I think this is what makes Courtney Milan romance is so worthwhile; not only do we get to understand our characters in a very real way, we also get to watch them work through their issues. While many authors might allow their characters to gloss over their trauma or unfinished business, Courtney Milan forces her characters to get through their feelings. It’s not done any malicious way but in a way that we get to see our characters grow in that growth is worthwhile.

Overall, this is your another Courtney Milan book that I have loved. While this is not the fun and quirky historical romance I generally enjoy, I always know what I’m getting with Courtney Milan. There’s so much to say about the gender and social norms of the time period she writes in and I’m always willing to learn more.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brothers Sinister Series

The Goveunness Affair (#0.5)--this post!
The Duchess War (#1)--this post!
A Kiss for Midwinter (#1.5)
The Heiress Effect (#2)
The Countess Conspiracy (#3) 
The Suffragette Scandal (#4) 
Talk Sweetly to Me (#4.5) 
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS