A Lady by Midnight | Spindle Cove #3 | Tessa Dare
August 28th 2012 | Avon 
Source: Library 
A temporary engagement, a lifetime in the making . . .
After years of fending for herself, Kate Taylor found friendship and acceptance in Spindle Cove—but she never stopped yearning for love. The very last place she'd look for it is in the arms of Corporal Thorne. The militia commander is as stone cold as he is brutally handsome. But when mysterious strangers come searching for Kate, Thorne steps forward as her fiancé. He claims to have only Kate's safety in mind. So why is there smoldering passion in his kiss?

Long ago, Samuel Thorne devoted his life to guarding Kate's happiness. He wants what's best for her, and he knows it's not marriage to a man like him. To outlast their temporary engagement, he must keep his hands off her tempting body and lock her warm smiles out of his withered heart. It's the toughest battle of this hardened warrior's life . . . and the first he seems destined to lose.
The first book in this series threw me off, but I loved the second one leading me to be incredibly hopeful about A Lady by Midnight. But I couldn't get on board with this one. I am willing to forgo a lot of things in terms of believability when it comes to plot lines and other things in historical romances but I couldn't get behind this one. 

Thorne can't be with Kate and does everything in his power to ward him off. But Kate want's Thorne and wants to be with him. It's probably the most exhausting aspect of this book. I couldn't care less if they were or weren't together. It was also difficult for me to look past how Kate felt about her past, all of the answers she wanted, and everything that Throne knew but didn't tell her. All of these aspects of the plot bothered me to no end. Protecting someone is an idea I understand. But not trusting them with information they so desperately want? That's an issue. Add in the fact that these two people should be together and you get a book I won't like. 

However, I do love the setting of Spindle Cove. I would love to visit a place like this because it sounds so quant and quirky. Badger, the dog, was also one of my favorite parts of this story. 
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS