The Bromance Book Club | Bromance Book Club #1 | Lyssa Kay Adams
November 5th 2019 | Berkley
Source: Library
The first rule of book club: You don't talk about book club.
Nashville Legends second baseman Gavin Scott's marriage is in major league trouble. He’s recently discovered a humiliating secret: his wife Thea has always faked the Big O. When he loses his cool at the revelation, it’s the final straw on their already strained relationship. Thea asks for a divorce, and Gavin realizes he’s let his pride and fear get the better of him.

Welcome to the Bromance Book Club.

Distraught and desperate, Gavin finds help from an unlikely source: a secret romance book club made up of Nashville's top alpha men. With the help of their current read, a steamy Regency titled Courting the Countess, the guys coach Gavin on saving his marriage. But it'll take a lot more than flowery words and grand gestures for this hapless Romeo to find his inner hero and win back the trust of his wife.
Whenever it comes to reading books that have a lot of hype surrounding them, I’m always wary of starting them. After all the good things I’ve heard about a certain book, being let down is never fun. But The Bromance Bookclub was not that book. It deserved all the hype it got and then some. I loved Gavin and Thea’s story more than I anticipated.

It’s not often that we get a love story about two people falling back in love. It’s not necessarily a second chance romance since they’re still married but they’ve grown apart. I appreciated that we got a married couple who was in love, moved apart and now have to find their way back together. I think this is an area in relationships that we don’t often get to see and I really appreciated how Lyssa Kay Adams handled it.

As someone who loves romance novels, I loved the idea of these big, professional athletes reading these books and using them to help their love lives. Romance novels are not given enough credit and aren’t always considered worthwhile reading material so I’m glad they got so much respect.

The beginning was a tad bit rough and I couldn’t really place my feelings for Gavin and Thea. I wasn’t immediately sold on their love but I slowly found myself really pushing for them to work through their feelings. I felt as though Gavin really did want to make his relationship work. He now knows that he’s messed up and has to fix his mistakes. There were moments where I really understood Thea: even asking for the bare minimum for men could be too much for them.

Thea was also an interesting character. While I felt for her and all she’d gone through, I truly wish she’d realized earlier in the story that she had a lot of unsolved problems. If Gavin had truly screwed up with no fault of Thea’s then I’d understand her hesitation. Some part of Thea wanted to work through her problems with Gavin but she’d be persuaded to ignore her feelings and go with the worst case scenario. I knew she was hurting but you can’t force a person to handle their problems if they don’t want to do it themselves. In the end, though, she was finally able to be honest with herself and she redeemed herself for sure.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Bromance Bookclub. There was so much more heart than I anticipated and I really wanted the couple to work through their problems. I really loved the moments between Thea, Gavin and their girls. It really showed that they both had something to lose but also something worth fighting for.
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS