I have yet another series review for you guys. I have loved this series since I first read it years ago and as I recently re-read this series, I thought I should finally share my thoughts on the books! Not only is the writing really great, but the characters are also amazing. I love the world that Anne Bishop has created.

Written in Red | Anne Bishop | The Others #1
Source: Library 

As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others.

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.
This was probably the most unexpected pleasant surprise I’ve had in a few years in terms of books I’ve read. There were many people who enjoyed this series, but I was very unsure if I’d like it. I’m not the biggest fan of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal so I was hesitant to try it out. However, having just completed another re-read of this entire series, I’m beyond glad that I pushed through.

The world of the Others is immersive. The Others are the non-human inhabitants of the world. There are the Sanguinati (vampires) and the various groups that use the suffix Gard (such as Wolfgard, Hawksgard, etc.) among others. There’s a specific hierarchy that exists in this world and areas where Human Laws Don’t Apply where the terra indigene (the actual name for the Others) live. These are the basics for this series that I felt would help with my reviews for the rest of the series.

I’m sure some people will disagree with me on this, but I really loved the found family aspect of this story. I know people have wondered why the Others would pull for Meg when they’ve either just met her or just know of her, but I found that their love stemmed from protecting one’s family, no matter what the ties are.

The World of the Others:
Written in Red (The Others, #1)
Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
Marked in Flesh (The Others, #4)
Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
Lake Silver (The World of the Others, #1; The Others, #6)
Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

© In Want of Books · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS